Re: Mixing it...

Subject: Re: Mixing it...
From: Alexandra Hettergott (a.hettergott@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Sat May 08 1999 - 12:34:14 EDT

Robert Dow wrote (in short) :
1) same technology to produce similar results (provided ;-)
2) same technology to produce different results
2b) similar (interactions with) technology to produce dissimilar results
3) different technologies to produce similar results
4) different technologies to produce different results (supposing ;-)
-- Well, actually, I find this too general a view, while I am not very content with
the "parametric limits" Kevin Austin mentions as to being set regarding both
_computer_ and _music_ (so the being computer stops becoming analogous (or vice
versa), and music ends with going soundscape ?).
Fruitful as a starting point, on the other hand, I find Kevin Busby's statement
regarding the overcoming of hierarchical/financial boundaries by more commonly
available technology ("democratic" PCs today providing means which (much) earlier
were reserved to broadcasting companies or Universities only).
IMHO, though, that our present notions will (have to) change *a lot* in this regard
(I am not to mention (good old...) postmodernism, which, however, as a term
applicable still holds its own, while some people yet seem to expect (partial) music
being "strictly" in whatever sense...)....
Alexandra Hettergott.