Re: Mixing it...

Subject: Re: Mixing it...
From: KEVIN AUSTIN (KAUSTIN@vax2.concordia.ca)
Date: Sat May 08 1999 - 08:11:53 EDT

The 'computer music' question seems to refer directly to one of
semantics: the same words with two different (levels of) sets of meaning.
You may want to check out Korzybski and the Institute of General
Semantics for a discussion as to how the nature of this categorization
confusion interferes with communications.

[Maybe it's not unlike the word "information" which has many different
meanings: one word many things signified ... kind of the opposite of a
synonym: one meaning, many different words. The old elevator / lift ...
rubber/rubber jokes ... eg].

Frequently the people who talk about (popular applications) of 'computer'
'music', do not care to define (set parametric limits for/to) either
word. The 'electroacoustics' world discusses this frequently.

Maybe that's a difference between CMJ and OS?

The glass is half full?
The glass is half empty?
Uh, I just drank it. Could I have another one please?

Electric sound is an oxymoron?

Ya

kaustin@vax2.concordia.ca