Re: Need advise on a stereo mic for portable DAT

Subject: Re: Need advise on a stereo mic for portable DAT
From: dAvId_cRoNkItE (cronkite@videotron.ca)
Date: Thu May 06 1999 - 10:18:56 EDT

Eric Somers wrote:
> We have never noticed this though as a
> hand held mic it does pick up finger motion. It is not a vocal mic
> designed for finger movement while in use. It also picks up wind and I
> cannot find a really good windscreen for it.

I used the AT825 doing ethnomusicological fieldwork in Nepal for 6
months and had no problems. The results were surprisingly good, even
when recording drums, cymbals and horns outdoors. I eliminated the
sounds generated by finger motion by using a simple shock mount (the AKG
H-30, that usually attaches to a stand, but was simply hand-held).

Personnally, I did not find the results to be thin, nor the high end to
be lacking. The highs of the cymbals and the lows of the large drums
came out strong and clear.

Sophie Laurent
ethnomusicologist
laurents@magellan.umontreal.ca