Re: Need advise on a stereo mic for portable DAT

Subject: Re: Need advise on a stereo mic for portable DAT
From: Dr. Jonty Harrison (d.j.t.harrison@bham.ac.uk)
Date: Thu May 06 1999 - 09:34:24 EDT

I also use the Soundman in-ear mics Hans is talking about. I bought the top
of the range model (optimally matched pair of capsules) direct from Germany
for around DM 550 (under 200 sterling and around $300 US, as Hans says. The
results are excellent, though it's important to get the line level adaptor
as well. Stereo field and image are exceptional (especially over
headphones, though purists may worry about compatibility with loudspeaker
listening) and the self-noise levels are surprisingly low for a battery
device. Wind noise IS a problem however and the mics are only covered in a
circular bit of foam with no ear-friendly shaping, so they sometimes fall
out - and always at a crucial moment in the recording! But all in all, very
good for the money.

Good luck!

Jonty
*************
Hans Tutschku wrote:
>There is also the so-called "Originalkopfmikrophone" OKM II (original head
>mic), from
>Soundman in Berlin. I'm using it since years for my soundscape recordings.
>It looks like little headphones and you put it like them in your ears.
>Everybody thinks you are listening to music, while you are recording.
>
>Big advantage: with the small (very very small) preamp you are getting a
>line-signal. (you avoid any noisy mic-preamp in smaller portable DATs)
>There are two qualities: "normal" around 200 US$, "high quality" around 300
>US$. I'm using the "normal".
>
>As your head functions as "filter" you can create very impressive
>stereo-images. Listening
>to them through headphones gives you mainly the "real" 3D listening field.
>
>Disadvantage:
>
>- don't turn your head during recording to fast (stereoimage is flying around)
>- quite sensitive to wind.
>
>I don't know if there is a web page.
>
>Soundman GmbH
>Zossener Str. 56-58
>D 10961 Berlin
>
>Tel: 0049 30 69 50 90 43
>
>mail: soundman@kopier-bar

  Dr Jonty Harrison | E-mail: d.j.t.harrison@bham.ac.uk

  Reader in Composition and | Phone: (+44) 121-414 5787 (work)
      Electroacoustic Music | (+44) 121-449 2461 (home)
  Music Department | Fax: (+44) 121-414 5781
  The University of Birmingham |
  Edgbaston | http://sun1.bham.ac.uk/d.j.t.harrison/
  Birmingham B15 2TT | See also:
  England | http://www.demon.co.uk/sonicart/