RE: stereo mic for portable DAT

Subject: RE: stereo mic for portable DAT
From: A.J. Moore (A.J.Moore@sheffield.ac.uk)
Date: Thu May 06 1999 - 05:39:59 EDT

I have an AT825 - lessons learned - buy the most expensive mic you can
and do your best to get it well shock mounted and wind-shielded. This can
be done at cost or DIY. the AT825 is very susceptible to movement but
its sound I would not say is thin, it is perhaps a little light on the top
end.

>Audio Technica AT825 - didn't get to try it out, but sales rep suggested
>that the build quality wasn't the greatest. I have heard one since &
>compared outdoor recordings of the same place with the Sennheiser and the
>AT, both on DAP-1s, but didn't (subjectively) like the sound (?thin).
>>
>I'm looking around for a mic for a portable DAT and am not sure of the
>options in the sub $800 CDN range. My local music shop has an Audio
>Technica
>AT825 for about $500. Is there other mics in that price range that perform
>better or would be more suitable to field recordings?

Dr. Adrian Moore tel - 44 (0)114 2220486
Sheffield University fax - 44 (0)114 2668053
Music Department mailto:a.j.moore@shef.ac.uk
Western Bank http://www.shef.ac.uk/misc/personal/mu1ajm
Sheffield S10 2TN http://www.shef.ac.uk/uni/academic/I-M/mus/facils/studio.html
UK http://www.sonicartsnetwork.org/