RE: stereo mic for portable DAT

Subject: RE: stereo mic for portable DAT
From: Alistair MacDonald (a.macdonald@rsamd.ac.uk)
Date: Thu May 06 1999 - 05:35:14 EDT

I considered three mics, all in the same price bracket to use with a Tascam
DAP-1 (which has been great for me...)
Sony (can't remember the model) - nice sound, adjustable stereo width, but
handling noise a problem (when trying it out in a quiet studio, listening
over headphones I could hear the bones in my wrist cracking!). Also bulky.

Sennheiser MKE44P - similar sound & (subjectively) noise level to Sony
above, fixed 90 degree stereo, uses standard AA battery or phantom power.
Light.

Audio Technica AT825 - didn't get to try it out, but sales rep suggested
that the build quality wasn't the greatest. I have heard one since &
compared outdoor recordings of the same place with the Sennheiser and the
AT, both on DAP-1s, but didn't (subjectively) like the sound (?thin).

I bought the Sennheiser & don't regret it.

If they still make it, the MKE66 seemed to be a great bargain at about a
third of the price - unbalanced, battery power only, but nice sound and low
noise.

Alistair