Re: And from Outer Space, At a Deadly Pace ...

Subject: Re: And from Outer Space, At a Deadly Pace ...
From: Jean-Marc Pelletier (gustave@generation.net)
Date: Sun May 02 1999 - 23:26:50 EDT

----------
> From: Anomalous Records <eric@anomalousrecords.com>
> To: cecdiscuss@concordia.ca
> Subject: Re: And from Outer Space, At a Deadly Pace ...
> Date: 1 mai, 1999 16:23
>
> >It is indeed somehow sad to think that the disc that the Voyager is
> >carrying is analog, to be read by a stylus, but the NASA engineers
didn't
> >include a turntable upon which to play it!
>

> Didn't they include instructions on how to play it back, and wouldn't
that
> be easier to decode than digital information?

In their fall issue (I think) Leonardo Journal had a quite, um, interesting
article on the problems of extra-terrestrial communication, from a semiotic
point of view. The author of the article (who is dead serious) would argue
that even if the little green people managed to play the record, nothing
guaranties that they are either capable of hearing at all, or hearing
sounds between 20 - 20,000 Hz. And even if they are, there's no way to be
sure they'll make sense out of it like we do, etc. etc.

***Jean-Marc Pelletier***

"Il est plus facile de penser que l'on ne pense pas
que de ne pas penser que l'on pense." - Le Chat