Harangue 2 review

Subject: Harangue 2 review
From: Andrew Czink (aczink@bc.sympatico.ca)
Date: Sun May 02 1999 - 21:45:53 EDT

    Hi everyone,

    Check out the review of earsay's harangue 2 CD from Splendid e-zine!

Various Artists / Harangue II / Earsay (CD)

A year ago, when I reviewed Harangue I, I had high hopes that the folks
at Earsay would be able to maintain their level of confrontational
quality until Harangue II hit the (figurative) stands. And now, not to
put too fine a point on it, Harangue II walks among us. This second
volume is more aggressive, and perhaps less conventionally "musical"
than its predecessor; if you need to cling to conventional forms of
melody, you'll find the going hard. The disc opens with "STRINGendo", a
multi-level MIDI manipulation of strings by Rainer Burck, Earsay's
newest signing. You'll hear familiar bowed tones transmuted into a
series of crashing, tearing and shattering textures that, while abrupt
and sometimes alarming, will be oddly familiar to anyone who grew up
with the palpable orchestral violence of "Tom and Jerry" cartoons. The
always exceptional Hildegard Westerkamp paints a sonic picture of Delhi
from ambient noise and shimmering synthesized notes, juxtaposing
unearthly beauty with earthy reality. Earsay founder John Oliver's
"scintilla", excerpted next, bristles with synthesized energy and
immediacy; formed from MIDI guitar, synth and samples, it seethes with
unpredictability, rather like an arcing current modeled in audio form.
On Damian Keller's "...soretes de punta", Earsay artists' apparent
fascination with the percussive and rhythmic aspects of rainfall is once

again given voice, this time focusing on paired falling objects and
their sonic similarities to precipitation. Earsay's Andrew Czink closes
the disc, first with his own ravenously Ouroborate "Devour", which will
drive caffeine addicts over the edge with its endless biological
tone-recycling, and then teamed with Giorgio Magnanesi on "MU", a
heavily-processed and endlessly involving piano/DJ confrontation so
frenetic it'll give you the shakes. Once again, Earsay has delivered
some of the most challenging and rewarding electro-acoustic material
available, and I unreservedly recommend it to thinking listeners
everywhere. -- George Zahora

(a note to readers: you can purchase this disc at the label's website --

 http://earsay.com -- and we strongly encourage you to do so.)'

    Thanks for reading. Check out Splendid's site. The link's at the
top.

    Cheers,

    Andrew