Re: Opera electro-acoustrique

Subject: Re: Opera electro-acoustrique
From: philip thompson (pntst6+@pitt.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 23 1999 - 13:32:33 EDT

Despite a shared sense of disdain for the disproportionate amount of public
funding which goes to so called major institutions, I'm not convinced that
turning opera and ballet houses into to glorified karaoke bars is is a good
solution. I don't know that the coal stoker on the diesel engine analogy can
be extended very far. Like many trombonists, I have practiced the Bach cello
suites as etudes. But I would never perform them in public. They just do not
work on the instrument. That's also how I feel about substituting pre-recorded
music for music conceived for live acoustic performance. It just doesn't work
and it's not good sound either.

Wouldn't it be nice though, if priority for public funds were given to
institutions doing really innovative programing (as opposed to innovative
marketing of the same tired fare)? There are so many composers doing
interesting things with opera and even including (gasp) electroacoustic
elements, but finding a venue is nearly impossible (I'm talking about folks
with all the right grants and awards on their CVs, not just schlepps like
myself ).

Rainy and mild here in the 'burgh. Our tulips are loving it.

Best,

Phil