Re: A little old-fashioned yet not completely out of use...

Subject: Re: A little old-fashioned yet not completely out of use...
From: KEVIN AUSTIN (KAUSTIN@vax2.concordia.ca)
Date: Thu Apr 15 1999 - 06:51:51 EDT

Alexandra asks about "oeuvre", which to my senses has never had only one
meaning. There was a time of 'happenings' in musical culture. At the time
of their being presented, they were not 'objects', but upon their
termination, they became part of fixed history, and thus were objectified.

This was again made clear to me as I watched a 1983 film on a John Cage
70th Birthday concert in Islington. I re-read parts of Silence to find
out if I now had "an order" for the 'Indeterminacy' stories. Yup, I did.
Open form had become fixed. (A bit like a photograph of a mobile sculpture.)

kaustin@vax2.concordia.ca