A little old-fashioned yet not completely out of use...

Subject: A little old-fashioned yet not completely out of use...
From: Alexandra Hettergott (a.hettergott@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Wed Apr 14 1999 - 15:09:55 EDT

...is the notion of the "musical work", "l'oeuvre musicale". Considering the small
example given on occasion of the recent interactivity discussion, i.e, ea "clips" of
different authorship and different yet always short duration making up a CD the
course of which can be determined even in a random order. Yet what is the "oeuvre"
then regarding this "composition": the compilation itself as a formal, temporal, and
"material" put-together, or yet rather any of the clips in itself, presumably (and by
definiton) each having a "climax" of its own...? No work at all, not even an "open"
one (or open in its "compositional" form yet closed in any of its constituents), or
yet a "trap", as someone (offlist) said recently...? Might well be that this (quite
musicologial) notion of an "oeuvre" is not worth discussing today at all, however I
for my modest part must confess that its being "revived" recently did literally
startle me, while thinking about those formal aspects coming into sight by using the
new more or less interactive media...
-- Any further comments ?
Best & thanks,
Alexandra Hettergott.