Gestural control of spatial synthesis and diffusion?

Subject: Gestural control of spatial synthesis and diffusion?
From: Ross Bencina (rossb@audiomulch.com)
Date: Tue Mar 30 1999 - 02:57:44 EST

Greetings,

Here in Australia it is unusual to hear a loudspeaker orchestra in concert,
and usually the mixing console used is a standard "rock music" desk. I am
interested in what techniques other than "fingers on faders" and "computer
mice" are being used in common-practice diffusion systems around the world.
I have heard of custom diffusion mixers - what kinds of interfaces do these
have (joysticks?) and what are their advantages. Is there any detailed
information in English about these things?

I have an idea to use data gloves and motion-capture sensors to allow the
use of the arms and hands as an "in thin air" diffusion gesture controller -
this would afford a close spatial correlation between gesture and sonic
spatial configuration. I am aware that having only two hands would be a
limiting factor.

Any comments would be gratefully received.

Ross Bencina
<rossb@audiomulch.com>