Re: Loud enough??

Subject: Re: Loud enough??
From: Alexandra Hettergott (a.hettergott@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu Mar 04 1999 - 13:43:00 EST

>***Jean-Marc Pelletier*** wrote :
>Do we enjoy loud music because, despite the work of John Cage, we are not
>culturally conditioned to perceive "noise", both mental and material, as
>part of the perception of a musical event?

-- I don't exactly understand the question (or don't agree with the rhetorical
content)...
First, as regards the "mental" aspect I would never believe this since speech does
consist to a great part of noises which mostly contribute to the actual meaning of
simple sound compilations (e.g., the phonemic aspect, as in boisson-poisson-poison --
and what would you understand without any consonants...?)
Secondly, as pointed out earlier :
>noises; the old lady unwraping her candy, a man coughing, my own breathing,
>my tinitis etc.
-- well, as given by definition from "annoyance studies" the term "noise" does today
much more refer to a sound which is more *personally* unpleasant and annoying (a
"stress factor"), hence including some psycho-/sociological aspects, and this can be
a big car on a street as well as a radio in a public park, or a candy's paper in a
concert.
-- So I would say we are able to well perceive noises the meaning/definition of which
are due to society, context, personal disposition, etc. Yet "noisy" is not
necessarily equivalent to "loud", however -- as well known -- a noise does often
cover a far greater frequency range in its spectral distribution (and may thus cause
much more sensitivity)...
Alexandra Hettergott.