Re: Loud enough??

Subject: Re: Loud enough??
From: KEVIN AUSTIN (KAUSTIN@vax2.concordia.ca)
Date: Thu Mar 04 1999 - 05:58:25 EST

fern GE wrote (in part, something like)...

>As well, the extreme dynamic range explored by some electronic
>pieces paradoxically demands constant adjustments of the projection
>levels. Peaking is perhaps the main offender.

The references here, in my experience are about peaking, but not in the
orchestral sense, measured in seconds, but rather irregularly, measured
over minutes.

>From my experience, when a listener understands that there will likely be
unpredictable peaks (or sustained very loud sounds), the tendency is to
leave the fingers in the ears, even through the quiet passages, since
there is no way of knowing when the 'blasts' will come.

kaustin@vax2.concordia.ca