Re: Loud enough??

Subject: Re: Loud enough??
From: Jean-Marc Pelletier (gustave@generation.net)
Date: Wed Mar 03 1999 - 12:57:15 EST

Could it be that the use of loud sound comes from a desire to "shut out"
the listening environment?
By this I mean that for most people elements that are exterior to the
document itself are deemed undesirable in a communication process.
When I go hear an orchestral concert I make a mental effort to shut out
noises; the old lady unwraping her candy, a man coughing, my own breathing,
my tinitis etc.
With amplified sound, the projectionist has to power to accomplish this
task through external means.
Another possible dimension of this is that softer sounds require more
attention, more mental effort, while louder sounds impose themselves. I
would tend to think that listening to a quieter projection of a piece, the
listener's thoughts are more likely to drift. (away from the piece, that
is)
Are lower levels more conducive to introspection?
Do we enjoy loud music because, despite the work of John Cage, we are not
culturally conditioned to perceive "noise", both mental and material, as
part of the perception of a musical event?

***Jean-Marc Pelletier***

"Il est plus facile de penser que l'on ne pense pas
que de ne pas penser que l'on pense." - Le Chat