Re: Loud enough??

Subject: Re: Loud enough??
From: Jean-Marc Pelletier (gustave@generation.net)
Date: Mon Mar 01 1999 - 20:13:50 EST

----------
> From: Andrew Czink <aczink@sfu.ca>
> To: cecdiscuss@concordia.ca
> Subject: Re: Loud enough??
> Date: 1 mars, 1999 15:52
>
> I completely agree about the importance of preserving our hearing.
> I think, however, that we need to keep focussed on when and where the
> problems occur. I doubt that anyone is suffering permanent hearing loss
by
> playing their concerts loud. How many concerts do any of us do in a year?
> Besides, pieces at concerts usually have some dynamic range (I'm talking
ea
> stuff not rock concerts), so even if "some composers" play their music
loud
> (and it IS a thrill, by the way) I don't know of any who's music is
> constantly loud.

In the last three concerts I have attended I have seen people covering
their ears (I was one of them). In two of those three people did so for
extended periods of time (more than 5 minutes) and either later complained
about it or simply left. It was not a question of peak amplitude rather
than average levels being too hot.
As far as "thrill" is concerned, I don't think the people who left found
their experience very thrilling. I don't see how pain and severe distortion
(both in the ear and from the speakers) translates into a thrilling
experience.
In a documentary, I heard a drug addict say that the worst thing about hard
drugs is that the big "thrill" they bring makes you unable to appreciate
the small things in life. The same can be said about loud sounds. When you
grow accustomed to the thrill of loud music, a string quartet just doesn't
cut it anymore. And yet most of the beautiful sounds in life are not 90 to
110 dB.
It's anyone's right to enjoy loud music, I just think it's unfair for
people who don't to suffer because of that.

***Jean-Marc Pelletier***

"Il est plus facile de penser que l'on ne pense pas
que de ne pas penser que l'on pense." - Le Chat