Re: Loud enough??

Subject: Re: Loud enough??
From: Andrew Czink (aczink@sfu.ca)
Date: Mon Mar 01 1999 - 15:52:06 EST

        I completely agree about the importance of preserving our hearing.
I think, however, that we need to keep focussed on when and where the
problems occur. I doubt that anyone is suffering permanent hearing loss by
playing their concerts loud. How many concerts do any of us do in a year?
Besides, pieces at concerts usually have some dynamic range (I'm talking ea
stuff not rock concerts), so even if "some composers" play their music loud
(and it IS a thrill, by the way) I don't know of any who's music is
constantly loud. Even the "certain composer" at Banff (although I didn't
attend that gig so I can't vouch for that particular instance) who likes
the thrill of loud music certainly is loud all (I doubt even most) of the
time. I suspect there were other issues involved there but I'll leave that
for another conversation!
        I think probably the most evil situation for suffering hearing loss
is during the working process. I've heard people monitoring above 100 dB
just while they're cutting and pasting and EQing etc. That's nuts! It's
very easy to be doing that kind of work for extended periods and that's
where a good deal of hearing loss occurs. It's as bad as working on a
factory floor without hearing protection or going to clubs several times a
week. Doing a concert once every few months or even once a month isn't
probably the biggest culprit here.
        I get a rush from loud music and a big sound too; just don't do it
to me for extended periods and nobody should get hurt. Turn it down when
you're working and you should be able to crank it up (within reason) once
in a while without a problem. Has worked for me by the way. I've recently
had my hearing checked (paranoid eh?) to 16 kHz and things are hunky-dory.
Fairly flat across the board. Now, I haven't worked on factory floors
without protection and I don't go clubbing regularly (never without ear
plugs! yikes) and haven't lived on a noisy street etc.
        Education's definitely the key. I have students who have no idea at
all about what goes on and what damage is possible.
        Cheers,

        Andrew

        Andrew Czink

        earsay productions