Re: Loud enough??

Subject: Re: Loud enough??
From: Martin Gotfrit (martin_gotfrit@SFU.CA)
Date: Mon Mar 01 1999 - 14:45:52 EST

As a continuation of this thread I want to add the following:
I teach acoustics, psychoacoustics and hearing care in my introductory
electroacoustic music course. If I was to tabulate the subject with the
greatest nmumber of questions, after (1) what will be on the exam, ;), (2)
are questions about hearing loss. Many of my students are shocked to
discover the truth about loudness levels in clubs and the ease with which
speakers and headphones can cause hearing loss. I myself learnt about all
of this in an electroacoustic class many many years ago - it seems that we
music teachers have a responsibility to fill in this gap in the education
system. I am passionate about this because I am weary and saddened by 19
year olds asking me why they have tenitous for days after a concert or club
visit.

martin.

Martin Gotfrit, Associate Prof., Music Area,
Simon Fraser University, School for the Contemporary Arts
Burnaby B.C. * V5A 1S6 * 604-291-3517/fax/5907