Re: Prix Ars '99 bigotry

Subject: Re: Prix Ars '99 bigotry
From: Larry Austin (austin@sndart.cemi.unt.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 26 1999 - 06:49:01 EST

gabi wrote:

> Dear Mr. Austin,
> I talked again with the organizers of Prix Ars Electronica and they told me
> that they will not cancel computer music and it is not a question of gender.

Thank you very much for your response. I am gratified that the organizers
of Prix Ars Electronica still recognize the continuing contribution to
science and art that practitioners of "computer music" have been creating
since the early 'sixties, including the seminal work of scientist Max
Mathew and composer-researchers like Jean-Claude Risset, Laurie Spiegel, John
Chowning, and so many others since.

> The reason is that the computer has become a leading medium. These
> developements require a redefinition of the Prix Ars Electronica Music
> category that has existed since 1987 and a reorientation from a competition
> category focussed exclusively on computer music to one that provides a
> common plattform for myriad forms of sound experiments an what is happening
> in music today.
>
> The new category is open for:
> 1.) Computer Compositions
> 2.) Sound and Media
> 3.) Electronica
>
> So, I only can tell you that your compositions are welcome in our
> competition.
>
> I am sorry for the inconvenience in the new category .

This is much clearer than in the "Digital Musics" call for submissions,
which did not use the term "computer music". I appreciate the
clarification.

Sincerely,

Larry Austin