Re: Loud enough??

Subject: Re: Loud enough??
From: Jean-Marc Pelletier (gustave@generation.net)
Date: Fri Feb 26 1999 - 00:47:06 EST

I imagine walking into a museum and visiting an exhibition featuring
installations equiped with booby traps, functional ones that is.
I doubt that such a presentation would be deemed as "acceptable."
It's sad indeed that music is really the only art-form through which the
public can be inflicted permanent injuries without having most people raise
an eyebrow about it.

Extremely loud levels are not however only a problem in rock concerts and
dance clubs.
In every single electroacoustic concert I have attended in the past two
years levels have been pushed, sometimes consistently, beyond comfort.
As I am still young and have no intention on becoming the next Beethoven I
would like to see much more ethics put into sound diffusion when it comes
to overall amplitude.

Loudness is like a drug. Excess leeds to the impossibility to enjoys
"little things." And yet the enjoyment of ea music is primarily found in
those "little things" that become quite inaudible when levels are brought
as high as they are.
Pieces for tape and inter-modulation are no fun.

***Jean-Marc Pelletier***

"Il est plus facile de penser que l'on ne pense pas
que de ne pas penser que l'on pense." - Le Chat