Re: splicing tape

Subject: Re: splicing tape
From: KEVIN AUSTIN (KAUSTIN@vax2.concordia.ca)
Date: Thu Feb 25 1999 - 06:09:16 EST

It also needs to be remembered that the cross-fade isn't completely
linear. If you have a full track (1/4") tape and cut it in half, the
amplitude will only be reduced by (about) 3 dB, but this would also change
the equalization playback curve.

This translates that a 1/4" tape cut in half doesn't 'halve the volume'
of the signal. I saw people cut fancy designs into tape thinking that the
results would sound like they looked. Didn't work out that way. Amplitude
words on a log scale. (Not to be confused with analog scales.)

(Over-simplified) ... Tape playback eq is (also) a function of the speed
of the tape. In a later version of the Le Caine's 'Multi' (the variable
speed multi-tape playback machine), he had proposed to have variable eq
circuits on the heads, which would vary with the speed of the tape in a
continuously variable fashion. I don't know if this plan was ever
implemented.

kaustin@vax2.concordia.ca