Re: Prix Ars '99 bigotry

Subject: Re: Prix Ars '99 bigotry
From: Palle Dahlstedt (palle.dahlstedt@home.se)
Date: Wed Feb 24 1999 - 03:28:48 EST

At 18:44 1999-02-23 -0500, Linda Seltzer wrote:
>An attack on tape pieces as a genre is ignorant because tape music
>represents a lyrical as opposed to dramatic aesthetic and deals with
>the representation of inner states of mind rather than with expression
>by the body. We don't attack lyrical, introspective poetry for not
>being drama.

I cannot see why tape music couldn't represent both of these esthetics just as well. That is a choice of the composer, IMHO. The tape medium in itself has no such implications. EA music can both be very corporal, and very internal, like art in every other medium - text, video, etc.

Palle Dahlstedt

Palle Dahlstedt, composer
palle.dahlstedt@musik.gu.se or
palle.dahlstedt@home.se