Re: Prix Ars '99 bigotry

Subject: Re: Prix Ars '99 bigotry
From: Larry Austin (austin@sndart.cemi.unt.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 23 1999 - 09:39:16 EST

KEVIN AUSTIN wrote:

> Larry continues ...
>
> >Yes, I think I understand. HOWEVER, the report of the judging panel for the
> >1998 Prix, published in the book that followed, ...
>
> [snip]
>
> Larry,
>
> Who were the members of the panel?

The members of the "computer music" panel were Jean Baptiste Barriere (FR),
Jonty Harrison (UK), Naut Humon (USA), Laetitia Sonami (FR), and Werner
Vollert (D). Naut Humon is credited with writing the report of the panel. I
assume he was the chair.

> It would likely be interesting to have them explain in an open and public
> forum (such as this), exactly what they meant. It would be only fair to
> provide them the opportunity to address, in person (individualy and
> collectively), the community which they spoke to, and about, in print and
> in action.
>
> If you wish Larry, we could formulate such a request to them right now!

I know most members of the 1998 panel and have high regard for their work
and musical judgement. If such a request for forum participation were
to work fairly, it should include all the panelists. All views should be
heard. Otherwise, it gets one-sided right away.

All best,

Larry Austin

(Kevin's responses continue below.)