Ontario Arts Report

Subject: Ontario Arts Report
From: Darren Copeland (darcope@interlog.com)
Date: Tue Feb 23 1999 - 12:04:51 EST

Hello!

This is an important note to Ontario members of this list. Sorry for
duplicates, the message needs to get out there!!!

Last night I attended a "Ontario Arts Report" meeting in Toronto. The new
music community was strangely absent from this meeting (or silent),
including advocacy organizations like the Canadian League of Composers. I
would suggest that anyone with a stake in the future of Ontario funding for
the arts should contact Ontario Arts Report to find out more information and
to contribute to the discussion.

Phone 416-867-9917 or visit
http://www.caea.com/saveoac/

Basically, the Ontario Arts Report is gathering feedback and recommendations
for changes to recent developments in the provincial sector, such as the
Arts Endowment Fund, Cultural Attractions Trust Fund, and the Ontario
Trillium Foundation. All of whom represent a certain departure from the
values and methodologies that once made the Ontario Arts Council a fine
example of government arts length funding at the provincial (or state) level.

The absence of consultation in the operation of the Ontario Arts Council
(and its foundation) is apalling. The OAC have had the arrogance to
actually suspend the entire literature section from funding in order to
simply review it. This is the extent of the situation! It is very
troublesome. What will be next?

Please pass this message on to your musical colleagues in Ontario. Their
absence from the meeting was extremely unfortunate, since concerns specific
to music were missing from the discussion.

Darren Copeland

--------
darcope@interlog.com

For more background on my work, contact my web site at:
http://www.interlog.com/~darcope

Click on New Adventures in Sound for more information about Sound Travels.

For info about the CEC, contact their web site at:
http://cec.concordia.ca