Re: [ request for info]

Subject: Re: [ request for info]
From: KEVIN AUSTIN (KAUSTIN@vax2.concordia.ca)
Date: Tue Feb 23 1999 - 04:27:12 EST

Larry and Martin pondered ...

>>I note that there is no longer a category for "computer music" in
>>the PRIX ARS ELECTRONICA 1999 announcement.

>>I presume then that "computer music" and "electroacoustic
>>music" and, for that matter, "musique acousmatique" are subsumed
>>under "Digital Musics"?

>>I ask, because I do not know if my works are eligible to be
>>entered in the competition. I compose "computer music", most
>>often combined with instruments and/or voice for presentation
>>as concert music.

It could be that the term 'computer music' is becoming obsolete, which
could arise from a number of factors including, but not limited to:
 - its expansion to mean too many things
 - its failure to encompass new ideas
 - times having changed, and it is recognized as being 'historical'

The same fate has met 'avant garde', which now frequently refers to the
music of the 50s, 60s, 70s (Cage -> Source). I have met a number of
people who lament the passing of the 'avant garde', and also some who
lament the failure of electronic music to live up to its promise.

A number of ol'timers have sentimental attachment to words like
'musique concrete', electronic music, computer music, Electro-Acoustic
music ... choose your poison. A younger generation has come along to share
this sound world and they choose to cast off the old. (Let's hope that
they are kinder to us than we were to our elders.)

Now, where did I put my digitalis?

kaustin@vax2.concordia.ca