Re: Prix Ars '99 bigotry

Subject: Re: Prix Ars '99 bigotry
From: Larry Austin (austin@sndart.cemi.unt.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 22 1999 - 14:22:08 EST

Larry Austin wrote:

> "Digital Musics" will attract more female composer submissions?
> "Digital Musics" will bridge the gender gap?

"Digital Musics" will attract fewer tape pieces? How is that?
"Digital Musics" will attract fewer tape pieces by male, non-white composers?

I have no quarrel with "Digital Musics" as terminology for this
competition; however, the banishment of the term "computer music"
is, by implication, done for the wrong reasons: racial and gender and
medium bias....wrong, wrong, wrong.

Larry Austin