Re: HD recording/editing for PC

Subject: Re: HD recording/editing for PC
From: Dennis Bathory-Kitsz (bathory@maltedmedia.com)
Date: Tue Feb 16 1999 - 11:06:04 EST

At 16 33 02 16 1999 -0000, Alistair MacDonald wrote:
>I'm constantly being asked by students what shareware/freeware is available
>for PCs which might enable them to do some HD recording & editing & some
>processing at home. Since the studios here are Mac-based, I don't have
>enough experience to make reliable suggestions. Any thoughts? These are
>mostly performers with little experience of computers (apart from the Pro
>Tools they use here), so the simpler the better with waveform display...

I use exclusively PCs, and there's tons of stuff from editors & processors
to algorithmic generators (I was just playing with Paul Whalley's
Quasi-Fractal Composer as your message arrived.)

CoolEdit is great shareware for recording, editing and processing, with a
good display and easy controls. The shareware version still only enables a
few controls with each session, but it does work. Check the features; I
think it will do most of what you're asking for. There are also plug-ins
for more processing work, though it comes with a good range of basic tools.

If you like it, I'd recommend buying a copy to unlock all the features. The
'lite' registration is $25, and $50 give full access to additional features
(details at http://www.syntrillium.com/cooledit/index.html). There's also a
"pro" version with a much wider range of features, but it's USD$400.

Dennis
http://maltedmedia.com/