Re: encouraging polemics and reflection...

Subject: Re: encouraging polemics and reflection...
From: DG Malham (dgm102@york.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Feb 15 1999 - 12:19:00 EST

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, Douglas Doherty wrote:

> All sorts of other correspondences fall into place - 20/second is of course
> where we start hearing pitches, so the boundary between rhythm and pitch is
> defined by our ability to generate that rhythm. I wonder if there is any
> correlation between an individual's motor movement speed and their lower
> pitch threshold? Impossible to test I guess. Is there any relationship
> between size and periodic perception?

I have often wondered if the higher beat rate of modern dance related pop
music as compared to, say, the sixties, could be tied to the higher
average speed of modern car windscreen wipers :-) (When my son plays dance
stuff on my car stereo, there usually seems a very close
correspondance...)

        Dave

/* Dave Malham "http://www.york.ac.uk/depts/music/dgm.htm" */
/* Music Technology Group "http://www.york.ac.uk/inst/mustech/welcome.htm"*/
/* Department of Music "http://www.york.ac.uk/depts/music/welcome.htm" */
/* The University of York Phone 01904 432448 */
/* Heslington Fax 01904 432450 */
/* York YO1 5DD */
/* UK 'Ambisonics - Component Imaging for Audio' */
/* "http://www.york.ac.uk/inst/mustech/3d_audio/ambison.htm" */