Re: Disembodiement (Re: encouraging polemics and reflection)

Subject: Re: Disembodiement (Re: encouraging polemics and reflection)
From: Alexandra Hettergott (a.hettergott@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Sun Feb 14 1999 - 14:17:22 EST

>With the telephone, we now have to activate
>our imagination in order to complete the image of the person on the
>other end of the conversation. [...]
>(two people listeing to the same unfamiliar disembodied voice
>will "imagine" two completely different humans on the other end).

-- less concrete but the more abstract (i.e., prescriptive/descriptive from the
author's, and absolutely non-repeatable but without exception assigned to the
imagination's part of the willing reader...) on the purely fictional, literary
plane --with theater pieces being the intersection where the actual "concretisation"
has to take place in a final performance...-- I doubt that this "image of a person"
('s description) is really a new experience originating from this century only.
Alexandra Hettergott