Re: encouraging polemics and reflection...

Subject: Re: encouraging polemics and reflection...
From: Rosemary Mountain (mountain@ua.pt)
Date: Fri Feb 12 1999 - 05:22:07 EST

Peter Valsamis wrote:

> Many musicians active today have grown up just playing
> electronic instruments, does this mean there's some sort of missing link?
> A dissociation from our physical bodies?

Maybe that depends on whether you tap your toes while you play?
Actually, I think there is probably a perceptual difference to the
listener from a piece/extended sound fragment which depended on motor
skills for a significant amount of its execution (e.g. real-time playing
of a keyboard, drum pad, etc.) and that which doesn't. The second may
sound more "disembodied" which often stimulates descriptions like
"spacey!"

  Dr. Rosemary Mountain
  University of Aveiro
  Communication & Art Dept.