Re: encouraging polemics and reflection...

Subject: Re: encouraging polemics and reflection...
From: Peter Valsamis (valsam@mills.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 11 1999 - 13:56:37 EST

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Rick wrote:

> I think the concept of 'advanced' partly what is in question here.
Interface
> design for computer driven tools is still in its infancy.I would consider
> "advanced" to relate to interface surface as well as control concept. Even

Perhaps the word evolved is better. What I got out of the Eno article is
that technology is manufacturing facilities that enable, and to some
extent demand, composers to add yet another level of complexity to their
music (not always musical.) All the while musicians are moving away from
actually physically generating sound.

This leads me to another question. (I'm partially playing the devil's
advocate here) Many musicians active today have grown up just playing
electronic instruments, does this mean there's some sort of missing link?
A dissociation from our physical bodies?

Peter Valsamis