Re: encouraging polemics and reflection...

Subject: Re: encouraging polemics and reflection...
From: Palle Dahlstedt (palle.dahlstedt@home.se)
Date: Tue Feb 09 1999 - 16:03:00 EST

Concerning mr Eno's thoughts on creativity

Isn't the whole thing very simple? Brian Eno (and his hired technician) tried to play on an instrument (the Godzilla-console) he (they) didn't master. Then he couldn't create "intuitively" or whatever he calls his normal mode of creation.

If I would try to play on a violin, I would certainly think it was created with to many options and to much freedom. So I would start to practise or go back to my piano or synth.

I really think I can compose fluently/intuitively or whatever you want to call it on modern computer tools, but not before I have practised on them and learned to master them. So, Brian, start practising mixer automation or whatever was the problem, and throw out that slow technician.

Palle Dahlstedt

Palle Dahlstedt, composer
palle.dahlstedt@musik.gu.se or
palle.dahlstedt@home.se