Re: On 8 speakers

Subject: Re: On 8 speakers
From: Chris Rolfe (rolfe@sfu.ca)
Date: Sat Jan 30 1999 - 03:24:00 EST

Hi Kevin,

        As the sometimes sorry translator between music diffusion and
theatrical show-control methodologies, I have to say that ALL interfaces
close off possibilities. Nonetheless, I'm developing a great deal of
respect for the theatrical show-control conventions. They're low-level, but
often just what a sound-designer needs :-)

        One approach to your suggestion comes from theatre. A lot of
show-control involves +/- setting commands, as with submastering. The
concept is simple, take the existing state of a controller and de/increase
it.

        The AudioBox (which is the hardware my software likes to control),
has assignable submasters, which means that you can program the mixer to
accept MIDI continuous-controller commands to adjust any level within the
mixer (input, output, assign/crosspoint) by a RELATIVE amount (ie, +3 dB).

        What you describe is, therefore, tricky but do-able.

        The job of the software designer is to spare the neophyte user from
details, but allow the pro-user to do everything feasible. Recording mixer
moves (available as MIDI info from many mixers, and certainly from JLCooper
fader packs or Mackie's HUD), would be a great addition to the program
though.

        I DID implement a MIDI controller scheme recently. I made it for
Matt Rogalsky at a Vancouver gig, but he didn't use it in the end. I,
however, used it to crank out my diffusion score in a few hours instead of
the usual three days (programmers should avoid being on the concert bill,
however, for the simple reason that they are torn between the program's
performance, and their own performance).

        I've also got a controller recording scheme, but haven't reconciled
it yet with both the theatre and music models. I'm working on it as we
speak.

Cheers,

Chris

Third Monk Software