On Files [fwd]

Subject: On Files [fwd]
From: KEVIN AUSTIN (KAUSTIN@vax2.concordia.ca)
Date: Fri Jan 29 1999 - 05:22:18 EST

[Message bounced for some reason??] ka

From: "Dr. Nick Fells" <nick@music.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 99 16:43:21 GMT
To: cecdiscuss@concordia.ca
Subject: Re: Jaz problems

You wrote:
> My students
> have just embarked on their first Pro Tools project. Our
>recommended way of working was archive onto the Jaz drives, work of
>the External HD and archive back onto the Jaz at the end of each
 session. However we a experiencing a lot of problems of lost data
 etc. There is obviously some user err0r going down but I am >becoming
increasingly convinced that there is something inherently >unstable in our
systems.

Cathy,

I can't offer advice on potential hardware problems, but I had a
similar problem last year with students losing data when backing up
their work in ProTools. I think the main error was that they were
making sessions which relied on audio files which had been moved to
the wastebasket on the hard drive of the particular workstation they
were working on; they tended to use the same workstation for weeks,
backing up their session onto floptical disk but not backing up the
files they'd moved to the wastebasket. (I can't remember the
precise details, but I think they'd decided they did want to use
those sounds after all, but just got PT to 'find' them in the
wastebasket rather than moving them back into the session folder).
These files seemed to have 'disappeared' when they tried to transfer
their session back onto the hard drive of another machine...

In my experience it was quite hard to enforce a regime of careful
file control when students were working with PT for the first time.

Nick

---
Dr Nick Fells,
Music Department,
University of Glasgow,
Glasgow G12 8QQ
UK.

Tel: +44 (0) 141-330 5509 Fax: +44 (0) 141-330 3518