Soundcraft digital desks - spirit 328

Subject: Soundcraft digital desks - spirit 328
From: Katharine Norman (kate@novamara.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Jan 29 1999 - 05:24:22 EST

I'd be interested to know if anyone is successfully using this desk
with two Adats and BRC.

We bought one several months ago and have had continual problems
syncing it to Adats (two with BRC). Intermittent digital clicks
indicate some probable word-clocking issue. All equipment connected to
the desk has been thoroughly tested as ok.

Soundcraft are now admitting a 'probable problem' at design level, but
assure us that the situation 'only applies to around 10 desks'. We
have tried two desk - with identical results, which indicates that we
have either been extraordinarly unlucky or....who knows. Although I
have always found their customer support good in the past, it's
interesting that when faced with a problem they have been far less
than quick to respond (it's taken three months to get anyone to pay
attention and address the problem)

Since for many educational establishments or individuals the cost of a
328 is not a mere drop in the ocean, I'd like to draw readers'
attention to the above.

thanks,

Katharine Norman
Director,
Electronic Music Studios
Goldsmiths College, University of London