Re: Jaz problems

Subject: Re: Jaz problems
From: Mark Corwin (mcorwin@vax2.concordia.ca)
Date: Thu Jan 28 1999 - 16:28:37 EST

Concordia has 5 (of 8) studios with large removable media systems. They are
all Mac based. We've had some drive problems in the past but had none this
year as far as I can remember.

Our experience and knowledge gleaned over the past few years has made us
cautious about new media formats; the 2.2 gig medium would be great if it
proves solid. When the JAZ came out, we embraced it eagerly but found they
would soon crash when used for heavy random access operations such as
mixing multi-track sessions (Session, ProTools, SoundEdit 16, Deck). Now,
the JAZ carts are used only for storage of large files like a CD-R session
where many copies may be needed over a period of days or weeks, but due to
heavy shared use of the studio the internal hard drives need to be clear
for the individual and temporary use.

The Zips have been great for simple storage and transfer from one studio to
the next. Once the student has 5-6 full Zips of sound files, they burn a
CD-R and reuse the Zips after running a deep reformating. Since we have
almost 100 students using our studios, we generally can't have them keep
anything on the internal hard drives. We have had some difficulties with
files being stored on a PC formated Zip if they were 'played' off that
cart. We recommend that users copy all their files onto a temporary
partition on the large internal hard drives and work with them there,
transferring back to the Zip (PC or Mac) at the end of the session. A low
level reformat to Mac has been quick and flawless for students who only
work on Macs but could only purchase PC formated carts.

The problem of "lost" files is really one of "orphaned" files. Deck,
ProTools and Session type programs needn't keep the files of a session all
in one file folder. It is possible to 'import' a sound from another place
on the hard drive and unless it's not modified in some significant way by
the mixing program, it isn't saved in the "Audio Files" folder made by that
session. This problem occurs quite frequently during the first few weeks of
classes until students learn to use only files that they either physically
place in the "Audio File" of the session or generate through recording
which are automatically placed there.

All for now,
Mark Corwin
Director, Electroacoustic Studios
Concordia University, Montreal, Quebec, CANADA
http://music.concordia.ca