Re: On 8 speakers

Subject: Re: On 8 speakers
From: Darren Copeland (darcope@interlog.com)
Date: Tue Jan 26 1999 - 13:33:52 EST

There are three events that New Adventures in Sound are organizing that
pertain to this particular discussion of multi-channel diffusion.

Currently at le Conservatoire de Musique de Montreal there is a diffusion
workshop taking place. Six students from McGill, Concordia, Universite de
Montreal, and the Conservatoire are all using the AudioBox controlled by
Chris Rolfe's ABControl. The AudioBox is a 16X16 automated digital mixing
matrix. 8 of its input channels are XLR and the other 8 are accessible from
an internal disk. All 16 outputs are XLR. For the diffusion residencies in
Montreal and Vancouver we have used the AudioBox in a 8X8 configuration for
reasons of econonmy.

Results from this residency can be heard at a public concert Feb 5 at
Conservatoire (100 est Notre Dame in Montreal near rue Saint-Laurent).
Concert begins at 8 pm.

On the evening of Feb 8 we are making plans for an open demo at the
Conservatoire. Please contact me if you are interested in participating, as
space is extremely limited.

On Feb 9 at Concordia Concert Hall works by eight channel works by Yves
Daoust, Jacques Tremblay, and Barry Truax can be heard along side others
programmed by other curators in the EuCuE series. Barry's piece Pendlerdrom
was realized in 8 channels right from the outset of the composition process.
Yves Daoust's work Bruits is adapted from a 8 channel cube configuration
used by ACREQ last season. The Tremblay piece like those in the workshop
will be adapted from a mixdown of a finished stereo work.

>From Feb 12 to 14 at the Music Gallery in Toronto works from the Montreal
and Vancouver residencies will be assembled for presentation called "Sound
Travels." More details will follow shortly in a press release.

More events are being planned for next season. Details for those will
follow at the right opportunity.

I hope that readers on the list can make it out to one of the events in the
near future. If you would like to take a closer look at the AudioBox and
ABControl, you can contact me directly to make arrangements.

As I've said before, I'm eager to arrange more residencies in other cities
inside and outside of Canada. The AudioBox is a great tool for digging down
into the nitty gritty of diffusion and spatial perception, as the discussion
here has shown. It is also an exciting vehicle for exchanging music and
ideas from city to city.

All the Best,

Darren Copeland

--------
darcope@interlog.com

For more background on my work, contact my web site at:
http://www.interlog.com/~darcope

For info about the CEC, contact their web site at:
http://cec.concordia.ca