Re: On 8 speakers

Subject: Re: On 8 speakers
From: Robert J. Dow (rjd@music.ed.ac.uk)
Date: Sun Jan 24 1999 - 07:32:26 EST

On Sun, 24 Jan 1999, KEVIN AUSTIN wrote:

> It has been our (rather limited) experience that eight (and four) channel
> pieces come in two basic varieties: an eight-channel 'projection' of a
> stereo piece, or a discrete eight-channel piece. When programing, we
> always put the discrete 8-ch pieces last, as once someone has heard
> 'real' 4 or 8-channel, 'sound projection' from a stereo source is like
> Kool-Aid to real oranges.

This, of course, depends on the composer's performance intention! It is
futile to compare (so called) 'real' multi-channel pieces with
'projected' ones without reference to musical material and performance
intention. Eight of the right sort of speakers, in the right sort of
places, playing the right sort of music will sound more 'freshly squeezed'
than an ill thought out piece realised on discreet 8-track (and so often
these 8-track pieces are unable to use either the speakers or the
performance space in a desirable way).

Robert

--
Robert J. Dow    . University of Edinburgh . Faculty   of    Music
Composer         . 12 Nicolson Square      . Edinburgh  .  EH8 9DF