Re: digital 8-tracks?

Subject: Re: digital 8-tracks?
From: DG Malham (dgm102@york.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Jan 22 1999 - 06:10:10 EST

Fuses are problematic - if they are set so that they will protect against
overload, they will be running close to their limits, so their resistance
will be modulated by the heating current flowing through them, which in
turn will cause distortion. Also, the common or garden variety fuse
holders tend to have relatively poor contacts which get corroded easily -
more distortion. Thirdly, in multiple unit speakers, which unit do you
fuse to? In an ATC20, for instance, the treble unit can only take around 5
watts continous and the bass unit 250. My experience is that with ea
music, treble units tend to be under most stress, with rock it tends to be
bass drivers.

Nevertheless, failing all else, fuses are worthwhile!

        Dave
/* Dave Malham "http://www.york.ac.uk/depts/music/dgm.htm" */
/* Music Technology Group "http://www.york.ac.uk/inst/mustech/welcome.htm"*/
/* Department of Music "http://www.york.ac.uk/depts/music/welcome.htm" */
/* The University of York Phone 01904 432448 */
/* Heslington Fax 01904 432450 */
/* York YO1 5DD */
/* UK 'Ambisonics - Component Imaging for Audio' */
/* "http://www.york.ac.uk/inst/mustech/3d_audio/ambison.htm" */