Re: women's opportunities in academia/industry

Subject: Re: women's opportunities in academia/industry
From: Douglas Doherty (DouglasJPDoherty@compuserve.com)
Date: Wed Jan 13 1999 - 12:07:37 EST

>>As a person with a similar academic/industrial background to you, I have
>>never seen an academic institution produce a viable "product" yet! I
don't
>>think that you can conclude that a woman would do it better. YOU would
>>have, but then again a competent man might also have done. That seems to
>>me to be the only logical conclusion. You would have done it better, but
>>can't accept that those facts indicate that a woman rather than a man
would
>>have done it better.

>Perhaps I am the one who doesn't "get it" but wasn't Linda's point that
the
>organization involved could have hired a woman capable of producing a
>product (her), but chose instead to hire men who did not do it (for
>whatever reason)? If the decision not to hire her was based on the fact
>she is a woman, then clearly this is an example of sex descrimination. But
>I would hope that most institutions are now beyond that type of thinking
as
>we leave this century.

You do get it Eric - it was Linda's conclusion in her last paragraph that I
was commenting on, not whether or not what happened to her amounted to
discrimination. Like you I would hope that this kind of blatant prejudice
is a thing of the past - whether or not it is I have no idea - my
experience would indicate that it was but it is clearly limited.

>As an academic I do agree that the academic environment is often not
>conducive to producing marketable products in a timely fashion.

I was being unfair there - in general that is not what an academic
environment is for anyway.

>- Eric

Douglas