portable recorders

Subject: portable recorders
From: The Hartman (wynberg@centtel.com)
Date: Mon Jan 11 1999 - 01:47:35 EST

Mark Nelson,

Tascam DA-P1 portable DAT machine. I rely on it to do my location and
field recordings for film and live music recordings. It's been through
a lot and I haven't had a single problem with it yet (touch wood). Soon
after I bought it (2 years ago) I found an article praising it and the
praises ring true (I might sound like an ad for Tascam, but hey, I
appreciate tools that are made with thought and craftsmanship):
- it's lightweight, solid construction (nothing sticking out to get
knocked and broken)
- digital RCA I/O,
- 2 XLR mic ins, with pre-amps, -20dB pad
- limiter (I have prefered this to other external limiters, if for no
other reason than it is configured to kick in right on time before
peaking)
- the battery can last up to 2 hours but you have to follow the
instructions regarding letting the battery completely drain before
recharging (drycell). Or find an alternative...
  *** which by the way, if you have any suggestions on building a 7.2V
DC portable power supply... I haven't done the reasearch yet ***
- And -- the best part -- I get calls from people who have studio DAT
machines and say that they need my machine to read their wonky DAT
tapes.
- I use a laptop computer bag to carry it around. (Lots of pockets is
always a good idea).

Whatever you do, DON'T get a DAT player (or any other recording device)
where you have to rely on an 1/8 inch stereo mic input. They wear out
very quickly no matter how hard you try to avoid knocking the jack
around.

On the subject of cassette recorders, I've had experience with the
Marantz recorders (I guess it's the Sony Pro equivalent). With good
quality tapes, strong levels, recordings can go a long way. And you can
pop it into the car stereo to give a listen back on the way home if you
wanted. It depends on what you want to use the deck for. DAT as great
for doing some digital editing afterwards, tapes are great to give to
some one right away to make copies, etc.

Any other thoughts, questions or comments that you might have, I'd be
happy to chat.

Hartley Wynberg
Toronto
wynberg@centtel.com