Re: Composin's just plain hard!

Subject: Re: Composin's just plain hard!
From: DG Malham (dgm102@york.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Jan 06 1999 - 04:56:07 EST

On Mon, 21 Dec 1998, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:

> Even the answers Linda has received on this list have diverted the issue
> from the heart of her comments, which were certainly not about whether
> she could buy a cheap used computer. The worlds of creativity in
> electronics, computers, and music -- and their combination -- have been
> largely boys' clubs, and woe to the woman who entered them without very
> big elbows.

And the worst thing is that this discourages women from entering the
field. We have great difficult in recruiting women onto our Postgraduate
ea composition and Music Technology programmes, even though we have a
female Head of Department (Prof. Nicola LeFanu) and more female than male
undergraduates. My guess (I don't have the figures in front of me) is that
even if we positively discriminated to such an extent that any woman who
applied was accepted (not something we would consider!) we still wouldn't
achieve parity.

        Dave

/* Dave Malham "http://www.york.ac.uk/depts/music/dgm.htm" */
/* Music Technology Group "http://www.york.ac.uk/inst/mustech/welcome.htm"*/
/* Department of Music "http://www.york.ac.uk/depts/music/welcome.htm" */
/* The University of York Phone 01904 432448 */
/* Heslington Fax 01904 432450 */
/* York YO1 5DD */
/* UK 'Ambisonics - Component Imaging for Audio' */
/* "http://www.york.ac.uk/inst/mustech/3d_audio/ambison.htm" */