Re: EA Performance Rights

Subject: Re: EA Performance Rights
From: Lisa Whistlecroft (
Date: Wed Nov 02 2005 - 05:21:25 EST

There is a third angle. The ex-student wishes to present new works.
Some of these will probably be on home-burned CDs direct from the
composer in response to a call, surely? In that case, the composer
has given permission. There should be no need to contact a
publisher unless someone has total rights on all works, published or

If the work is not commercially published, is there still a need to
contact the relevant performing rights society? I thought the
composer should do this?

My thoughts are focused in the UK but it seems to me that several
answers may lie in whether the concerts are
a) open to the public
b) held in a place licensed for public performance (if not, the
concerts may have to be by invitation!)
b) free

Just an English 2pennyworth - I'm neither a lawyer nor a concert
promoter but I am hoping to co-organise a small series in Lancaster
some time in the coming year so I also need to know!


>Dear Colleagues:
>A former student of mine has started presenting electroacoustic
>concerts in various venues. It's my understanding that he's not
>making any money on these concerts and views them as an opportunity
>to present new music to varied audiences.
>He emailed me with the following questions about performance rights
>and I don't know how to answer him. Can you help?
>Here are his questions. I appreciate your comments.
>Elainie Lillios
>My question is about performance rights- I know that with sheet music,
>one purchases performance rights by purchasing the music. What of EA
>music? Do you know how one brings oneself up to code there? Does
>buying a cd confer performance rights? Do you need to write for
>permission, and if so, with sheet music one writes to the publisher
>and not the composer?

Lisa Whistlecroft               
Lancaster University, UK.                   Tel: +44 (0) 1524 593776


This archive was generated by hypermail 2b27 : Sat Dec 22 2007 - 01:46:14 EST