Re: MFA vs. PhD

Subject: Re: MFA vs. PhD
From: Michael Gogins (
Date: Mon Oct 31 2005 - 21:02:31 EST

Probably you know this, but in general the Doctorate is for "research"
which implies teaching college, and the Masters is for "practice". This
distinction does not always hold sway. In the arts it used to be that
practioners who were professionals were thought qualified to teach.

I don't really know the reality of the situation in EA -- this is just the
basic idea in the university structure.


----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris DeLaurenti" <>
To: <>
Sent: Monday, October 31, 2005 6:40 PM
Subject: MFA vs. PhD

> Recently, I was part of a panel that fielded questions from students about
> various aspects of sound art, electroacoustic music, and improvisation. We
> covered everything from field recording/phonography to doing sound design
> for games to the annoying ubiquity of certain MAX/MSP patches.
> We came to an impasse when a music undergrad asked if she would be better
> off pursuing an MFA or a PhD. Apparently both are "terminal" degrees, but
> no one could agree. She makes electroacoustic music and is primarily
> interested in university/college teaching.
> For folks on the list: do colleges/universities hire MFAs to teach sound
> art or does the Ph.D still hold sway? Does one carry more "weight" than
> another?
> I have no experience in the matter - apart from seeing job postings
> seeking "Ph.D or equivalent (experience)" - and kept mum while the sparks
> (some of which seemed to be born of traumatic experience) flew.
> Perhaps the question (and answers from the wise souls who know) might be
> of interest to others on the list?
> Chris

This archive was generated by hypermail 2b27 : Sat Dec 22 2007 - 01:46:13 EST