RE: Computer chicken


Subject: RE: Computer chicken
mrhoades@perceptionfactory.com
Date: Thu Sep 29 2005 - 09:29:26 EDT


The chicken originated on a chicken farm and was brought to the oven. The
rock band originated in a garage and was brought to the studio. The computer
music originated in the computer and, for this discussion, stayed there.

The chicken can be brought to the oven and it is still a chicken. The band
can be brought to the computer, it is still a band. As Barry stated, the
computer music does not exist without the computer (except perhaps in the
mind).

Actually, I prefer to call my music computer music. Though, as suggested,
the computer does play and active role in the decision making process and
99% of the music and sounds originate on the computer. The other 1% is an
occasional sample that is brought into the process from "outside the
computer" sources...

Many choices.

Michael

> -----Original Message-----
> From: owner-cec-conference@concordia.ca [mailto:owner-cec-
> conference@concordia.ca] On Behalf Of Ian Stewart
> Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2005 8:11 AM
> To: cec-conference@concordia.ca
> Cc: supper@udk-berlin.de
> Subject: Re: Computer chicken
>
> > ... what makes computer music computer
> > music?" If you have some answers, please respond to Martin Supper
> > <supper@udk-berlin.de>
>
> I've disliked the term 'computer music' ever since I first heard it- cart
> before the horse, computer before the music. The terminology certainly has
> more currency in some places than in others; I rarely hear 'computer
> music'
> used in the UK or in Canada, but it is obviously very common elsewhere. I
> wonder how many practitioners would choose to describe their work as
> 'computer music', rather than, say, 'sonic art'?
>
> While the long history of its usage probably would prevent any more
> restrictive definition, I think I'd prefer it if 'computer music' were
> used
> where the computer was actively involved in the composition of the work,
> i.e. making musical decisions, and not just as one of many tools in its
> creation (in some EA, the microphone may be more important than the
> computer, but does anyone use the term 'microphone music'?). Mind, the
> distinction here is very fuzzy...
>
> all the best,
> Ian
>
> ---
> Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Version: 6.0.859 / Virus Database: 585 - Release Date: 2/14/2005
>

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.859 / Virus Database: 585 - Release Date: 2/14/2005
 



This archive was generated by hypermail 2b27 : Sat Dec 22 2007 - 01:46:12 EST