Re: (More) Cool sounds from outer space!


Subject: Re: (More) Cool sounds from outer space!
From: Rob Stone (rob@smitten.biz)
Date: Wed Aug 03 2005 - 17:26:28 EDT


Hi David

You can get a copy of the film from electronic arts intermix in NY - about
$250 for an educational buy. But several colleges hold a copy in the UK, so
an interlib loan should get one for you to use in the shorter term

R

> From: "Reid, David" <david.reid@ntu.ac.uk>
> Reply-To: <cec-conference@concordia.ca>
> Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 21:42:36 +0100
> To: <cec-conference@concordia.ca>
> Subject: RE: (More) Cool sounds from outer space!
>
> Hi Rob -
>
> interesting to her mention of Eleanor Antin - is the film available today? We
> often use her work with the wellingtons in our conceptual art lectures.
>
> david
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: owner-cec-conference@concordia.ca on behalf of Rob Stone
> Sent: Wed 03-Aug-05 13:07
> To: cec-conference@concordia.ca
> Subject: Re: (More) Cool sounds from outer space!
>
> Bill you say you are not concerned with the other. Occasionally it is
> unavoidable. The soundtrack to Eleanor Antin's film, the Ballerina and the
> Bum, is full of accidents - overflying aircraft, wind banging the microphone
> etc. She has since said (the film is from 1974) that had she been able, she
> may have avoided those sounds. But in a film about the other and how others
> meet and recognise themselves as such, this accidental and transfixing
> allophony in fact turns out to be the most convincing aspect of the film's
> argument.
>
> r
>
>
>> From: sylvi macCormac <macCormac@shaw.ca>
>> Reply-To: <cec-conference@concordia.ca>
>> Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 05:00:26 -0600
>> To: <cec-conference@concordia.ca>
>> Subject: Re: (More) Cool sounds from outer space!
>>
>> ditto :-) what a wonderful dis cussion about art & aesthetics. and
>> polite too :-)
>>
>> Jean-Marc Pelletier wrote:
>>
>>> Thank you, Bill, for articulating my own feelings so clearly. (And
>>> thanks to you too Michael for bringing up those points.)
>>>
>>> bill thompson wrote:
>>>
>>>>> Sorry to sound like I'm on a soap box. But think
>>>>> carefully about what actually causes you to feel
>>>>> things.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> not at all, i'm enjoying the conversation.
>>>>
>>>> maybe i have a very different idea of what is art
>>>> because i'm not concerned with the 'other'...which to
>>>> be honest, i'm not. i'm much more concerned with that
>>>> feeling of the aesthetic which i can very much
>>>> experience 'attending' the world (non-intended as art)
>>>> as i can listening to something created by an
>>>> individual as 'art' in a gallery or concert hall.
>>>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>
> This email is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private and
> confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, please take
> no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. In this case, please reply
> to this email to highlight the error. Opinions and information in this email
> that do not relate to the official business of Nottingham Trent University
> shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by the University.
> Nottingham Trent University has taken steps to ensure that this email and any
> attachments are virus-free, but we do advise that the recipient should check
> that the email and its attachments are actually virus free. This is in
> keeping with good computing practice.
>
>



This archive was generated by hypermail 2b27 : Sat Dec 22 2007 - 01:46:09 EST