international pitch nomenclature

Subject: international pitch nomenclature
From: jef chippewa (
Date: Thu Jul 22 2004 - 16:33:06 EDT

helmholtz's system (middle-C = c^1 or c') is used almost exclusively
in german-speaking lands, and the system defined by the acoustical
society of america (middle-C = C4 [or C with small, lowered 4]) is
predominant in canada, and it seems to me in the US.

what is commonly used in the UK, australia, other english-speaking
areas for pitch references? is there a different reference system
used in journals and scholarly writings than is used informally?

what about other areas (spanish, french-speaking lands, eastern europe etc.)?





This archive was generated by hypermail 2b27 : Sat Dec 22 2007 - 01:46:03 EST