UltraMix

Subject: UltraMix
From: KEVIN AUSTIN (KAUSTIN@vax2.concordia.ca)
Date: Wed Nov 06 1996 - 02:10:13 EST

Mackie makes a unit called the UltraMix which is a block of 34 DCVCAs,
controled (via software and a non-standard MIDI protocol) by a 16 fader
module. We have considered its application in live ea sound projection,
to replace a standard 'mixer' (ie analog distribution mixer).

It's limit in our situation was that of only 16 faders (even though there
are 34 DCVCAs). Mackie has kindly provided some technical information on
the system, however, they report that it is not possible to daisy-chain
the fader panels to achieve more than 16 channels of control. (Below).

A MIDI implemented or implementable multi-channel sound projection system
would allow for all kinds of 'special movements', under the control of
the presenter. Apart from the Mackie, does anyone know of a (commercial
or non-commercial) system that allows MIDI-type control of DCVCAs.

(An example of a MIDI-type control would be to be able to insert a
pre-defined eq setting with reverb, into two speakers for a short period
of time, or having an effect (reverb, eq ...) brought in and out at will.)

Kevin Austin
Concordia university

(edited reply)