Re: Portable DAT

Subject: Re: Portable DAT
From: Dave Corbet (dcorbet@ariel.ucs.unimelb.EDU.AU)
Date: Wed Jun 12 1996 - 23:53:30 EDT

On Wed, 12 Jun 1996, Dr. Jonty Harrison wrote:

> also offers 44.1kHz sampling rate (analogue), balanced XLR mic inputs and
> 48V phantom power! Cost in the UK is about 1500 sterling, which makes it
> cheaper than your old Sony would have been all those years ago!

In Australia I paid $3000... not sure how that translates but seems
reasonable to me.

> batteries; Alistair MacDonald has the newer machine and seems very happy
> with it - certainly he had recorded some excellent source material on it.

In regards to the TASCAM DA-P1 :
        offers 44.1 and 48k sampling rates
        phantom power (+48v)
        XLR and RCA analogue inputs
        RCA digital input/output
        RCA line out
        built in limiter
        phono headphone jack
        the usual indexing sorts of things

It's (so far) been fantastic for field recordings and also more than
capable for simple mastering and transfer sorts of jobs (the spdf digital
format is ideal in this sense). I have also been using it for live
recordings of concerts.
I believe that there is actually a web page with info on this particular
model... have a search..

see ya
Dave
http://ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au/~dcorbet (My Home Page)