Re: Further musings on knobs (idiotic and otherwise...)

Subject: Re: Further musings on knobs (idiotic and otherwise...)
From: Raymond Luk (gems@sound.music.mcgill.ca)
Date: Thu Feb 22 1996 - 12:47:37 EST

On Thu, 22 Feb 1996, Jean Piche wrote:

> I find it revealing that reactions to the original debate on "idiot"
knobs centered on the "idiot" rather than the knob.

Yes, but I think that something is revealed about one's own aesthetic
assumptions whether you're an 'idiot' or a 'knob'. :) For example, my main
concern in the studio is to quickly familiarize myself with its potential
and/or limitations, and then to PLAY! But I realize that the play metaphor
is one that is in many ways divergent from contemporary aesthetics in ea
(and other) music. Most composers would probably consider themselves
planners and controllers--people who bring diverse elements into some sort
of coherence. Thus the desire for 'programmable muscular interfaces' and
devices designed for more control (but probably the most fun to use to
lose control!).

 Without taking sides in the debate over what role is proper for a modern
composer, I think it would be wise to keep in mind that technical
decisions, such as the form/function of knobs, reflect artistic
presuppositions. I'm for making these assumptions explicit. For example,
what is implicit in any statement about what ea composers should or should
not do (as in the following):

>As an electroacoustic composer, it should be considered the "enfance de
l'art" to know what to do with...

Raymond Luk
gems@music.mcgill.ca